Posted on: 14 November 2019
Helping you enjoy food while controlling your diabetes
Today is World Diabetes Day, so we decided to do some research into tasty ingredients that will help you remain balanced while letting you still enjoy your meals.
- Fatty Fish - Fatty fish contain omega-3 fats that reduce inflammation and other risk factors for heart disease and stroke, help improve artery function after eating and line your blood vessels.
- Greens - Green vegetables are not only rich in nutrients and full of fibre, but also contain antioxidants that protect your heart and eye health.
- Cinnamon - Cinnamon may improve blood sugar control due to it’s antioxidants, but can potentially improve insulin sensitivity, cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels in type 2 diabetics.
- Egg – Other than being very high in protein, eggs keep you feeling full which will avoid over-eating, improve risk factors for heart disease, promote good blood sugar control and protect eye health.
- Nuts – Rich in fibre, rich in flavour. Nuts are both rich in protein but low in carbs, and over time can reduce blood sugar and inflammation.
- Garlic - Several studies have shown that garlic can reduce inflammation, blood sugar and LDL cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes, but garlic is also good for overall health benefits.
- Chia Seeds – These are full of fibre, but very low in carbs. They are also able to potentially lower blood pressure.
- Tumeric - Turmeric contains curcumin, which may reduce blood sugar levels and inflammation, while protecting against heart and kidney disease.
- Greek Yoghurt - Greek yogurt promotes healthy blood sugar levels, reduces risk factors for heart disease and may help with weight management.
- Strawberries - Strawberries are low-sugar fruits that have strong anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce heart disease risk.
This just goes to show that you can still enjoy your food, and can even incorporate healthy ingredients into your daily routine to help maintain stability.